By Patrick Barkham
Climate change has thawed Arctic enough for $300m gas tanker to travel at record speed through northern sea route
A Russian tanker has travelled through the northern sea route in record speed and without an icebreaker escort for the first time, highlighting how climate change is opening up the high Arctic.
- By SHIVALI BEST FOR MAILONLINE
- EISCAT_3D radar is being built at three sites in northern Scandinavia
- The radar will be used to probe the upper atmosphere and near-Earth space
- It will be 10 times faster and 10 times more precise than current radars
- Findings will help scientists to understand the effects of space weather storms on technology, society and the environment